Tonight we've moved the meeting to a new location to give us some space to spread out and learn some new skills! As a group we've got quite a few tricks for the last thing you think of when you're finishing a quilt - the binding! We've got different techniques for making binding, applying binding, and finishing your quilt. Come learn some new skills or share your own tricks.
If you're planning on signing up for Poppyprint workshops then your registration and deposit is due at this meeting. If you're a member you get first crack at registration before it's opened to the public on July 19th. Remember: the deposit is non-refundable and full payment is due September 20th.
The June Sew Day will also be at the Uplands Recreation Center and will be about sewing curves. Led by your VP Mary, bring your curvy project and get some new ideas on making those curves perfect. Mary will be focusing on the free pattern Terrace by Violet Craft - 39 opportunities to practice your curves!
|Terrace by Violet Craft - http://www.robertkaufman.com/quilting/quilts_patterns/terrace/|
It's only two colors so it's easy to get your materials together and come sew with us! Of course you can bring any curvy project that you are working on - consider trying out December 2017 MQG quilt of the month or November 2016 MQG block of the month. Maybe a Pickle Dish or a Double Wedding Ring? Or for a few less curves there is Adore-la, Mythical Lanterns (Valori Wells), and Mod Dots. I might bring my Lizzy House Meadow quilt because my curves never lay quite flat- my blocks resemble more of a boat than a block.
Because we won't be at our usual location, the Charity Table is suspended for this month. The Charity Table will return in the fall.
Coming up (and subject to change):
- July 19th - Summer Social (Edworthy Park Picnic site #9) (A-J names bring food to share)
- August 16th - Vanecea from Alberta Batting Co (Wonderfil)
- September 20th - Kerry Foster of PennyDog with her new publication on Animal Applique (Wonderfil)
- September 22nd - QuiltCon 2019 Charity Quilt construction (Wonderfil)
- October 18th - Krista Hennebury from Poppyprint trunk show - free for members (Wonderfil)
- October 19th - Square Peg Round Hole workshop with Krista Hennebury from Poppyprint (Hawkwood)
- October 20th - Speed Dating improv workshop with Krista Hennebury from Poppyprint (Hawkwood)
- November 15th - meeting subject TBA (Wonderfil)
- November 17th - sew day with Kerry Foster on Animal Applique (Wonderfil)
- December 13th - Winter Social (K-Z names bring food to share) (Wonderfil)
The meeting agenda is:
- Guild business
- Block Lotto
- Summer Challenge announcement
- Show and tell
- A quilt or project for show and tell
- Name tag
- Block lotto entry
- Deposit for Poppyprint workshops
The dues cycle is January-December and they are $60 per person in 2018. Members who join after June will pay $40. First meeting is free for visitors, then $10 for a single meeting (fees could be more for special programming). After that we ask you to support and join our community by purchasing a membership to attend additional meetings and sew days and to participate in other guild activities.
Calgary Modern Quilt Guild members get first access to register for workshops and get a discounted rate! Poppyprint Workshops will be available for registration June 21st which is A MONTH earlier than it will be open to outside registration. On top of that if you take both workshops you would save $100 over the non-member price. A membership with the Calgary Modern Quilt Guild also gets you a membership with the Modern Quilt Guild and if you join before June 21st you can get early registration for QuiltCon 2019 in Nashville.